Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Fort Hayes Bus Tour

Today was a very full, but exciting day and SO worth the $80 it cost each of us. We took a tour with Fort Hayes Mount Rushmore tour bus, (don’t start thinking we were on a bus with purple haired old ladies and men) most of the people on the bus were younger than us with small children. We highly recommend it, best money we have spent.




Our day started with being at Fort Hayes for 7:30 for a chuck wagon breakfast of pancakes, sausages, (biscuits and gravy which we didn’t have) and any beverages.  We ate out of tin plates just like the pioneers and gold paners did. Then we wandered the village at Fort Hayes, all the buildings were the homes, shops and buildings used in the movie Dancing With Wolves. The buildings had all been dismantled after the movie shoot was finished, then moved to Fort Hayes to be used for the tour company




We boarded the bus about 9:00 and started the tour with the funniest, most knowledgeable and best driver tour guide that you could ask for. He filled us in with facts about everything, suggested different activities around Rapid City, and so much humor, he had us laughing and entertained continually, a really nice man. First he took us up to Mount Rushmore, this is truly amazing, so majestic. We had an hour to view the President’s faces, the museum and walk around, it was so beautiful and neat to see.


(Presidents faces through tunnel)

From there we toured through the Iron Mountain Road. As soon as we started driving through here, we realized we made the right decision to go with the tour. The roads are so windy, sharp cliffs, narrow roads, sharp turns, hairpin turns and tunnels that the bus just fits through. The tunnel is 102” wide and the bus is 96” wide, not a lot of space. We wouldn’t have had a relaxing drive even though the speeds hardly ever went over about 35mph, it would have been stressful at times. And then there are 3 pigtail turns, a pigtail is when the road comes around in a complete circle over top itself, a very tight circle and your passing back over the road that you were just on. We went through 7 tunnels and the last one that we went through was so tight, the driver had to line himself up really straight before entering the tunnel. He tried once and had to back up to fit and bumped the inside of the tunnel once. There were a bunch of people on the other side watching us come through, taking pictures and wanting to see if we could do it. So he said, “let’s make them think we’re stuck”, so he made the bus rock, roaring the engine, then put the 4-way flashers on to make them think we were stuck in the tunnel, meanwhile he has a paper on his front windshield that says “student driver” which he’s not. They all laughed and clapped when we finally came out and we had quite the show, there must have been about 25 people there watching. This was the kind of guy he was, quite hilarious all day.

We carried on through Custer State Park where we stopped to have lunch at the State Park Lodge and had the best lunch ever and we both tried Buffalo Stew, very yummy. The lodge was built when President Coolidge came to visit the park, a really nice building.

We went through Needles highway, which also was filled with hairpin turns and coming down the mountain in constant “s” turns all the way down. The needles are rock formations that shoot up many feet in the air like rods or needles, smoothed edges instead of rugged edges like the mountains. Again, we realized we made the right decision about the bus tour. By this time, I ran out of power on my battery for both my camera and my movie camera (I left my other battery at the hotel), so the rest of the pics are on my iphone. We went to Sylvan Lake where the movie National Treasure was made, so peaceful and calm, the rocks look so nice, they almost look artificial. Then off to Crazy Horse to see the monument being carved since approx. 1947, it’s bigger than Mount Rushmore.

About 5:30 we returned back to Fort Hayes for a chuck wagon supper and dinner show. We had roast beef, chuck wagon potatoes, baked beans, biscuits, applesauce and spice cake for dinner. Their band entertained and played music all the way back from the 1920’s, and were quite entertaining. The evening ended at about 8:30. All of the meals at Fort Hayes and park entry fees were all included in the price we paid, it was such a good deal and nice that we both were able to relax and enjoy the scenery

We had a VERY full day and are exhausted. We know we wouldn’t have been able to see all the things that we saw today if we tried to do this on our own.


Talk to you tomorrow!

15 comments:

  1. That sounds so awesome Mom and Dad!!! Sounds like your tour guide made the day extra special and I loved picturing you guys playing along with the stuck bus prank ;) Did you get into it?

    Mount Rushmore looks so cool!! I only recognize the outside Presidents by name, who are the two in the middle? (So Cdn ;)

    When you ate the 1920's style breakfast, did you still get Ketchup?

    When you get to the hotel on each leg of the journey (amazing race lingo) and at the end of a day like today, you must have a lot of things to charge! lol (I'm personally afraid you're going to forget a charger when you leave hotels, it's stressing me out, lol).

    Dad did a great job taking the 2 pictures of you, nice composition Dad! (he's using the 2/3rds rule of photography, naturally!)

    If Dad's into it, it would be fun for you to include a few things he wants to share too (you type them in)... maybe his funny thoughts, stories about you or favorite things about the day? Can you ask him if he'd be willing to do a bit of that for some of them?

    Is it hot there? It was really nice weather in Winnipeg today, hot! I went for a walk with Lola wearing pants and regretted it ;)

    Love you Mom and Dad, thanks for another entertaining and exciting post to read :) I'm so glad you're blogging Mom and you both look so chill and happy!! And... you're looking fly Momma, you rocked at your ww goals :)

    xoxoxo!
    Leigh-Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. The driving sounds in-tense!!!!
      Glad you guys didn't have to do it and could just sit back, trust the driver and marvel at it's intensity (instead of swearing at it, and Dad saying "sharon!", lol) ;)

      Delete
    2. The presidents are Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt and Lincoln. When you look closely at the faces through the telephoto lens, you can see Roosevelt's glasses and you can see the different grains of rock variations. Apparently there is a mole on one of their faces also, not sure which one it was though, can't remember.
      Yes they still served ketchup with your meal! LOL It had the name Heinz on the bottle, not sure if that is homemade??? :)
      Once I've charged whatever it is, I put my charger away right away even if I'm going to possibly need it again later, won't take any chances. You have to keep your things pretty organized when you travel out of a suitcase,( or 2 or 3 and other bags)! We are in Rapid City for 3 nights, so it's nice, a little more breathing time.
      I tried telling Dad about the 2/3 rule, he thinks you're always supposed to have the person centered in the background. Once he gets the camera, he can't stop clicking. LOL I ask Dad, what he would like to add each time, usually we have the same thoughts.
      It was about 25C here yesterday, overcast and was supposed to rain all day. We took the chance to go on the bus tour and the rain held off all day and started about 1/2 hour after we got back to the hotel with a severe thunderstorm, only lasted about 1 hour. Cool today. We're going to Bear Country USA, then some shopping and back to the hotel early, off to Yellowstone tomorrow.
      I'm not sure if Amanda is reading, ask her to comment sometime.

      Love you Leigh-Ann and Keith!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your reply Momma :) Amanda is definitely reading, she said she's enjoying your blog too :) She left one comment in an earlier post. And I see Kody commented below, very in-depth ;) I gave your blog address to Kyla and Violet as well, so you have a nice little audience :) And Aunty Kim is a big fan :) Anyone else reading?

      Thanks for the peace of mind about your chargers, lol. Btw, did you turn off your data plan on your cell phone so that it's not roaming? I'm sure you thought of it, but just wanted to ask... because I knew a guy once!

      Love you!! Have a great time today, and stock up on snacks for the drive :) Trail mix seems thematically appropriate ;)

      xo, LA

      Delete
    4. Sleepless in SurreyJune 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM

      Hello LA
      Aunty Diana, Sandra and Patty are reading along. As well I think grandma and grandpa are coming along. Grandpa was fighting with the internet the other day as it was slow and blocking so they may not be reading it every day. The others were having trouble picking up the document and getting into the blog. I initially had trouble myself with the email from McMomma but persisted with it and got it open, then cut and paste. Printed and then scanned the pages and emailed them to them. I believe in the last day or two they have been able to start going with the blog now so you may see their comments coming soon.
      I read Ruby's post, did not know she was such a talented dog!
      Take care Love Aunty Kim

      Delete
    5. Cool!
      Mom, may be you you send an email to everyone again, just sharing a quick note about your blog along with your blog address in the email area?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Ya, same as what I said to Leigh-Ann.

      Love you Kody, miss you!

      Delete
  3. Hi Mom and Dad,
    I miss you but I'm okay. Uncle Wayne gives me treats and I nap a lot and look out the window. Have fun and bring home berries.
    Love Ruby, the typing dog

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like it was a fun day on the bus tour. Sometimes it is the better way to go with the tour guides knowing the ins and outs of the area. And as you mentioned, Shawn was able to sit back and relax and enjoy the tour.
    Keep the blog coming as we enjoy reading it and the pictures that go with it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi mom and dad!!

    It looks like you are having an amazing time! It makes me smile and laugh and I see and read you blog. Oliva and Kennedy have been reading too and love the photos. You should find a nice trustworthy tourist to take a picture of both of you together, and I love that dad is taking pictures too. Seems like you have really relaxed dad and are enjoying yourself, it makes me proud and want to yell "this is what it's all about!" I love both and I am thinking of you a lot. Keep the fun posts coming.

    Ps. I have written 4 comments but for some reason they don't publish from my phone. Sorry.

    Love Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice comment Amanda, it's nice of you to write. I wonder why your comments aren't coming through from your phone, maybe LA knows. I'm glad you're all enjoying the pics, I think the girls will really enjoy todays pic, Bear Country USA. The baby bears were so cute, the girls would have carried them all over like Ruby, they do have claws, but they look so playful. We have to edit some of Dad's pics, they usually have mirrors or signs in them, but I'm so glad he's wanting to do it.
      Love you all!

      Love Momma and Pappa

      We love you so much Kennedy and Olivia and miss you!! <3 :)
      Love Grandma and Grandpa

      Delete
    2. Olivia and Kennedy
      Can you give Ruby a big hug and kiss if you see her from Grandma and Grandpa!
      Love you!

      Delete