Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Sioux Falls to Rapid City

Our day started out at 7, I didn’t sleep too well though, first night away from my own bed. Shawn did the majority of the driving today, I’m navigator and photographer. But while I was driving, I told him he had to take pictures, he couldn’t stop clicking away, I had to tell him to stop. We must have 300 pictures of the Badlands alone, but I’m sure there will be a few deleted.


We stopped at Mitchell, South Dakota to check out the Corn Palace that we had seen so much advertising along the highway, only one in the world. It’s this huge building that is decorated with cornhusks, stems, and cobs in every different colour. It was actually quite beautiful and quite artistic and a lot of work. They redo it every year and it costs $130,000 each year to redecorate it. Quite impressive!




Well if you haven’t seen the Badlands, you need to take a trip. They are so beautiful, hard to believe. Why haven’t we ever gone to see them before, pictures don’t do them justice. There are even rattlesnake warnings, but we didn’t see any, darn it! I’d like to see them from a distance, not nose to nose.

We finally had summer today, it hit 31C while driving through the Badlands. Pretty hot when you get out and walk the trails.
Gasoline is $3.47 US gallon in Rapid City and there are so many motor homes on the highways, there a lot of travellers even though the gas is high.


We’ll be in Rapid City till Thursday morning to see the sights here, Mount Rushmore, Black Hills, etc. We're probably going to go on a bus tour tomorrow to see all the sights unless it rains which it's supposed to then maybe on Wednesday. (I know I can hear you all laughing about the bus tour!!!)

Talk to you to tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Nice pictures and update Mom :) I'm excited that dad took pictures... I'm impressed, shocked and hardly believe the sides of Dad that are coming out :) Very cool. Did Dad bring any tank tops on the trip?

    Mom, I have something funny to tell you... I was reading Gomi tonight and they talked about me in the abm thread. This'll be interesting, hope it doesn't get ugly. They were saying 'I wonder what happened to LA & Elsie's friendship, etc' and they linked to my blog.

    Have you had any neat meals? Lots of starbucks?

    Love you so much :) Can't wait to hear about tomorrow's travels!!
    xoxo, LA

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I even put a portrait pic in the blog and it turned out ok. We went to TGI Fridays last night, good food. No Starbucks though, I saw where there is one on our route to where we are going today though, so maybe I'll have one this morning. Yes, Dad is addicted to the sound of the clicking on the camera, it will click 4 or 5 times through the same thing.
    We are going to go on the bus tour, it will take us through all the things that we were going to see, but Dad won't have to drive and he'll be able to see it better also. It is supposed to rain here today though, so I got up so I can shower and if it was raining, then we woud do our own thing instead, but it's not. They feed you breakfast and have a chuck wagon dinner at the end. We'll see how it goes.
    Love Momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was laughing at Shawn taking lots of pictures. Something I would be doing.... It sounds like he has settled into the vacation bug pretty fast and is enjoying it as much as you Sharon.

    The pictures are great and help fill in your days ventures. Keep them coming......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who is that on vacation with Sharon? Do we know that guy? lol

    ReplyDelete